Saturday, December 6, 2008

In which Tim eats turkey...

There is nothing quite like celebrating an American holiday in a very non-American environment.  Two years ago I was killing a turkey by hand on a roof in Bangladesh, in the midst of massive political instability that meant the secret police had taken over every street corner.  That was an interesting thanksgiving.  This time I went to a party that Peace Corps puts on every year.  They rent out a country club (with swimming pool) for the day, and arrange for a full turkey dinner.  I have not eaten so much since arriving in country.  Between the turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoe pie, green beans, broccoli, cranberry sauce, and various types of pie I was ready to pop.

I realize that most of you probably take little to no interest in that list of traditional holiday food, but it was an incredible treat for those of us who subsist mainly on rice, beans, and boiled bananas.  We were thankful for the food, but also having lived among the underprivileged for a while, my friends and I talked a lot about other things that we are thankful for.  We all agreed that none of us have had the opportunities we have based on our own merit or abilities.  We were each born into a certain family at a certain time under certain circumstances that has allowed us to have what we do.  We are all recipients of grace, and for that we are thankful.

There was also a talent show in the evening.  At the encouragement of my friends, I agreed  to perform a song I had written.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Tim Brown got up on stage in front of 200 people and sang a song.  It was a lot of fun.  Maybe I can add musical performance to my list of career goals.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page