Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In which Tim gets a cold and goes to a wedding...

I have been in the capital for a loooong time. Almost a week now. Hence my inundation of blog entries. I had four days worth of meetings, and came down with a sore throat somewhere in there. Yesterday morning I was all packed to leave, and dropped by the doctors office to see if she couldn't give me a pill to soothe the throat. She did her poking and prodding, and told me that she wanted me to stay in town for a few days for "observation". The nice part about this is that Peace Corps pays to put me in an air conditioned, PRIVATE hotel room, and gives me a pretty penny to cover my daily expenses. The unpleasant part is that the capital is pretty lonely when there aren't lots of fellow volunteers in town. Being sick isn't a lot of fun either.

The boredom was pleasantly alleviated today by, of all things, a wedding. Anne and Tim are volunteers who came to the country in the same group as me, six months ago. They are dear friends of mine. They met when we all came together in February, and very quickly decided that they liked each other. I guess when it's right it's right, so today they went into the magistrates office and tied the knot. About ten of us packed into a tiny office and cheered them on as they signed the paperwork.

We took them out to a nice dinner, made toasts, took lots of pictures, ate cake (courtesy of the wonderful Peace Corps staff) and did the things that you generally do at a more conventional American wedding. It was a lot of fun, and I feel fortunate to have played a part in the proceedings. None of us have known each other very long (most notably the bride and groom), but I suppose it goes to show that neat friendships, romances, etc. can pop up anywhere.

Congrats, Anne and Tim!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page