Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In which Tim meets Gustav...

Just as we were getting over the little visit that Fay decided to pay to us, her little brother Gustav decided to drop in. Although I suppose "little brother" is a bad designation, since she was just a tropical depression when she was here, but this guy is a full blown hurricane.

No need to worry. I am safe. I came into town yesterday to check my email and buy some groceries, and my phone started ringing. It was the volunteer who is in charge of emergency coordination in this part of the country. He told me that a room had been reserved in my name at a local hotel, and that I was not under any circumstances to return to the countryside until further notice. "Not even to get some clean clothes and my toothbrush?" I replied. He said no, that this was going to be a big storm.

So here I sit, in the rain, wearing dirty clothing. It looks like the eye of the storm is past, so we might be out of the woods. Haiti will be hit pretty hard though. Please pray.

There are about twenty of us who have been evacuated to the same hotel, so at least there is no lack of company. We have AC and cable, which is nice. We might get to go back home this afternoon. As nice as the little luxuries are it is still not the same as sleeping in my own bed at night. Maybe I will be back there soon...

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page